Team 17 have just confirmed, via their Facebook page, full details of the PS Vita version of their classic Amiga game Alien Breed that is due to be released next month through the PSN Store. While there has been some concern from gamers who have already purchased the superb PlayStation Mobile conversion released recently and reviewed here, there have been some considerable improvements made. The current list of key features include:
- Choice of either old-school Amiga graphics or new enhanced graphics
- A total of 30 levels, which includes 6 original Alien Breed (1991) levels, 12 Alien Breed Special Edition (1992) levels and three entirely new level packs: Convergence, Valiance and Synergy
- Players can team up on either PS3 or PlayStation Vita via cross-platform play. There is also ad-hoc and online co-op multiplayer for PlayStation Vita and local and online co-op multiplayer for PlayStation 3
- With Cross-Platform Continuation Play players are able to carry on their PS3 save game progress on their PS Vita, or vice versa!
- Ad-Hoc and online co-op multiplayer for PS Vita
- Local and online co-op multiplayer for PlayStation 3
- Leaderboards and trophies
A trailer has been released on Team 17’s Facebook page, but if we are completely honest from first impressions it doesn’t appear to be too different from the existing PlayStation Mobile version although we would hope that there are some improvements to the gameplay and controls to take advantage of the Vita and PS3’s hardware. If you already have this version, the only question is whether the trophy support, and multiplayer options are enough to make a second purchase appealing. Naturally, we’ll be giving this a full review once it is released!
Alien Breed will be released simultaneously for the PS3 and PS Vita on Wednesday 6th February in Europe and Tuesday 12th February in the USA through the PSN Store. No price has been confirmed yet and it has not been stated whether or not PlayStation Plus members will get a discount on release.