It’s been a few weeks since we brought you an update on how the PS Vita is performing in the East so it’s time for a round-up of the latest sales charts for both software and hardware in Japan and to see if the Vita is still making an impact over there. As always, data has been provided by Famitsu.
Unsurprisingly, with a new RPG in the popular Tales Of… series being releases from Bandai Namco, this managed to grab the top spot in the software chart with the PS4 version selling a massive 160,000 copies with the PS3 version managing an impressive 74,000 in third place. Even though there was only one new PS Vita release making it into the charts (Collar X Malice), this still managed a satisfactory 9,000 sales and an entry at number 8 against the fierce competition.
On the hardware front, the Vita is still keeping up with the competition holding steady in third place and comfortably fighting off the Wii U. The Vita TV has now disappeared from the charts completely as stocks have dried up from stores although looking at the charts you would be forgiven for thinking that the XBox One has been discontinued as well. Perhaps it’s time that Microsoft abandoned Japan as a market altogether?
Anyway, onto the charts themselves for the week ending 21st August 2016…
- Tales of Berseria (Bandai Namco) PS4 – 160,040 (New)
- Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi/Tempura (Level 5) 3DS – 74,388
- Tales of Berseria (Bandai Namco) PS3 – 74,052 (New)
- Puzzle & Dragons X: Kami no Sho / Ryu no Sho (GungHo) 3DS – 20,951
- Dragon Ball: Fusions (Bandai Namco) 3DS – 13,198
- Kirby: Planet Robobot (Nintendo) 3DS – 11,232
- Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Microsofot) Wii U – 10,021
- Collar x Malice (Idea Factory) Vita – 9,406 (New)
- Pocket Monster Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (The Pokémon Company) 3DS – 8,811
- Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo) Wii U – 7,508
- New Nintendo 3DS LL, 21,393
- PS4, 19,053
- PS Vita, 11,086
- Wii U, 5,623
- New Nintendo 3DS, 5,005
- PS3, 944
- Nintendo 3DS LL, 135
- Nintendo 3DS, 202
- Xbox One, 40
One final closing point on the hardware sales… globally the PS Vita has now sold almost 14.2 million units, approximately 1 million more than the Wii U. Most successful Vita game? Minecraft with over 2.1 million sales so far!